Monday, September 10, 2012

My first attempt at some real exercise

One day last week, I was going stir crazy in the house.  Earlier in the week, I had bought a pair of men's shoes at the sporting good store.  None of the women's shoes are big enough for me here.  I only put sandals in my luggage. It was just after lunch and I decided that I would go for an hour walk around our compound. I wanted to check out all the different houses. We have some townhomes in our compound too.  It was overcast like most days here but it wasn't too hot or humid.  After about 45 minutes, I realized that I was having chest pains and was having a tough time breathing.  I felt like I was going to pass out.  I had walked up to a friend's house the week before and had no problems. I'm not that out of shape.  I slowed down a little and made it back home.  I fell on the sofa, got some water and checked my pulse. My heard seemed ok but I still couldn't breath.  Then it dawned on me. I should log in and check the pollution levels.  Every hour, the US consulate posts air quality results on Twitter. The Chinese government decided to stop posting them since the levels have gotten so high and they didn't want the public to know. The level while I was walking was in the "unsafe" category.  I learned my lesson. No walking, biking or exercise outside without checking that first.  It took a few hours before my lungs were feeling better!

No comments:

Post a Comment