Monday, October 29, 2012

Red Hair

After 2 1/2 months, I decided it was time for a haircut and some color. Since only my roots were looking bad, I decided to have them only color the roots. That was a mistake. I asked a few people but never had anyone say that they just love a specific place.  A new salon opened in our compound about a month ago so I decided to give them a try. I walked up one day and had an appointed for the next day. That should have been my first warning flag.  One person was there getting a haircut and someone else was getting their nails done.  The next day, I was really nervous about going. They seemed to understand what I wanted. He tried to match up my color to his samples. Tom, my hair stylist in the states, does an awesome job and I never worry. He told me before I left that I would be ok and many people in Shanghai will be able to color my hair. They put on the first color and wrapped my head with clear saran wrap. That was a first for me. Then, they removed it and looked at my hair. They decided to add more color and wrap it again. After a long time, he washed it. I watched a whole movie (King's Speech) while I was there. After he took off the towel, I saw that my roots are much lighter than my other color. He went ahead and cut it and said if I had enough time that he could add something else to darken it a little.  I thought he was doing a good job of cutting my hair but then he pulled out a razor and starting shaving my hair.  Big globs of hair starting falling to the floor. It was too late to tell him to stop. She shaved the whole length of my hair. I was thinking how frizzy this is going to look with the high humidity here. Too late, nothing I can do now.  So, after the hair cut, he started putting more chemicals on my hair. I really thought it was some type of deep conditioner. The guy seemed to put on extra covers on me and him. He also put little covers over my ears. That should have been another red flag.  Well, it was red alright. He covered my hair in this red paste.  I was hoping it wasn't dye. He covered my head in saran wrap again and left it for 20 more minutes. After he washed it again, he started blow drying it. It was RED!!  Even my scalp was dyed red.  By this point, it had been 2 1/2 hrs and the kid's bus was coming in 5 minutes. I just paid him and left.  I was afraid for them to do anything else to it. At least I still had hair.  The kids got off the bus and yelled across the parking lot, "Mommy, your hair is red!!" Over the past 2 weeks, a little of the red has washed out but my roots are still red. I'm not able to pull it up into a ponytail either since it has so many layers from the shaving!!


Before I went, Greg kept joking with me that they will dye my hair black. I'm not sure which is worse black or red. I have an appt with Tom back in Raleigh for the morning after I land for Christmas.  I can't wait!!!

The pictures wasn't able to capture how red it is. It's even brighter in the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment